Dashed line error in Apple PDF viewer

I had the Apple PDF viewer choke on a PDF document which worked wine in other PDF viewers. I tracked it down to a funny dashed line. As can be seen on page 155 of the PDF specification for the third edition, dashed lines are specified as fx "[1 2] 0", which means 1 unit on, 2 units off. To stop dashing, you should write a dash specification of "[] 0".

I had a pdf which tried to stop dashing by writing "[ 1 0 ] 0" ("[ 1 0 ] 0 d" actually, I haven't looked into what the "d" means). This worked fine in most PDF viewers, but in Apple's viewer the document stopped rendering at that point. I assume that it is the 0-gap (the first "0") which confuses it. Fixing the PDF generator to use the "[] 0 d" from the specification made it work in Apple's PDF viewer.

So now you know, if you come across the same problem :). I would report it to Apple, but they don't seem to let you report bugs if you do not have an Apple ID.

Kommentarer

Populære opslag fra denne blog

Status for Universal Power Adapter for Mobile Devices (2019)

Making the Trust 1200 Wireless tablet work on Linux